From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: ce@×××××××××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Begging For Help With ALSA and Lirc
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 04:37:21
1 On 11/3/2005 11:24 AM Christoph Eckert wrote:
2
3 >>But the two things I can't seem to get working are ALSA and lirc. My
4 >>sound card is an Audigy that uses the emu10k1 driver.
8 >if the module is loaded you shoud see the card when doing a
9 >cat /proc/asound/cards
13 Thank you for your response. I do see the card:
14
15 tv mythtv # cat /proc/asound/cards
16 0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
17 Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x511102) at
18 0x9400, irq 22
19
20 >>Following the
21 >>Gentoo ALSA guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml), I've
22 >>tried both the kernel and alsa-driver method.
26 >I usually prefer the kernel method except there is brad new hardware so
27 >the external drivers are more recent than the kernel drivers.
31 Yes, I started with the kernel method as recommended in the guide. When
32 that didn't work I tried the alsa-driver method. Neither has worked for
33 me yet.
34
35 >>The card is detected.
36 >> All the 'cat /proc/asound' stuff as described in the "Issues"
37 >>section of the guide produces expected results. All my volume levels
38 >>are up and unmuted in 'alsamixer'. Yet I get no sound.
42 >I guess the card is already occupied by an soundserver like arts (KDE)
43 >or esound (Gnome).
47 Good guess. However I only have iceWM on this box and as far as I know,
48 there is no sound server.
49
50 >I'd try
51 >
52 >artsshell -q terminate
53 >
54 >starting xmms, setting my card in the preferences and see if it plays an
55 >audio file.
59 I tried this and switched to the ALSA driver. I saw three devices
60 listed so I just decided to try the "standard PCM Playback (hw:0,0)"
61 device. Still no sound but at least I had a constant sound source.
62 Then I disconnected from my stereo system and just ran standard computer
63 speakers that I knew were working. After trying all the various jacks
64 on the back of the sound card, SUCCESS!!! I found one that was
65 outputting sound. This is an old Audigy card where all the jacks look
66 the same. Oh sure, there's some small graphic etched into the metal by
67 each jack but my old eyes can't see them. None of the newer colored
68 markings on the actual jacks.
69
70 So anyway, I must have some issue with my stereo system to sort out.
71 But at least I know the box is producing sound. Thank you very much for
72 your ideas. It got me thinking in a new way.
73
74 Cheers,
75
76 Drew
79 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
80 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
81
82 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
85 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list