From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problem since devfs-udev switch
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:32:12
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >> uname -a
7 >> Linux energy 2.6.12-gentoo-r4 #2 Thu Jul 14 07:37:15 CEST 2005 i686
8 >> AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
9 >>
10 >> it bootet fine with devfs, oh, and the config is the same since ages,
11 >> three days later, I switched to udev.
12 >>
13 >> Btw, I greped the config for random/urandom, there was nothing found.
14 >> Hm, where should I look?
17 > There's no Kconfig option because the random number generator is a
18 > required feature. I don't see how it could be a udev issue because
19 > the /dev/urandom device file is either there or not and after that
20 > it's the kernel's responsibility. I would build a new kernel.
21 >
22 > Zac
25 You can pretty quickly determine if it is a kernel problem or a udev
26 problem by adding a
27 'ls -l /dev/urandom' to /etc/init.d/urandom:
28
29 start() {
30 [...]
31 ls -l /dev/urandom # debug strangeness
32 ebegin "Initializing random number generator"
34 dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/run/random-seed count=1 &> /dev/null
35
36 Also, only the display options for devfs were removed from 2.6.12, the
37 code and config option in .config are still there. Can you double check
38 your kernel config, and make sure that "# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set".
39 I think if you copied an old kernel config, you could have devfs support
40 still in your kernel, which might cause some strange behavior. I'm not
41 sure.
42
43 -Richard
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list