From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 04:51:51
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:40:37 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Neil even proposed ALT +
6 >> > SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and
7 >> > unmounted.
8 >>
9 >> Which might or might not work. But note that I was also talking
10 >> about applications being in a corrupted state (the database example).
11 >
12 > E sends a SIGTERM to all applications. Any well behaved application
13 > should shut down cleanly on this.
14
15 No doubt :) But if the app hangs, it might not respond to TERM.
16
17 > I sends a SIGKILL, but it only affects
18 > programs that were so locked up they ignored E, so you have nothing to
19 > lose by then.
20
21 Correct.
22
23 But nonetheless, there's still the risk that the KILL has
24 destroyed the application database (sort of - more correctly:
25 that the application and its database was in a "non consistent"
26 state when it received the signal).
27
28 Michael
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list