From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:49:23
1 On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:40:37 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2
3 > > Neil even proposed ALT +
4 > > SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and
5 > > unmounted.
6 >
7 > Which might or might not work. But note that I was also talking
8 > about applications being in a corrupted state (the database example).
9
10 E sends a SIGTERM to all applications. Any well behaved application
11 should shut down cleanly on this. I sends a SIGKILL, but it only affects
12 programs that were so locked up they ignored E, so you have nothing to
13 lose by then.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Weird enough for government work.