From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:41:07
1 · Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>:
2
3 > Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
4 >> Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com> wrote:
5 >> > Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
6 >> >> You're not shutting down the system in a clean way.
7 >> >
8 >> > You're not? I thought that's the purpose of the whole thing?
9 >>
10 >> It's more like pulling the plug, isn't it? At least none of
11 >> the shutdown scripts is run. And if you don't run ALT + SysRq + U,
12 >> or if it just doesn't work (like hangs at some (remote) fs),
13 >
14 > But nobody proposed _not_ to run ALT + SysRq + U,
15
16 True, but if things come to worse, you've got to do a ALT+SysRq+B
17 or +O, even before +U completely returned. As said, it can happen,
18 that U(nmount) doesn't work - and then you'd need to shutdown
19 anyway.
20
21 > Neil even proposed ALT +
22 > SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and unmounted.
23
24 Which might or might not work. But note that I was also talking
25 about applications being in a corrupted state (the database example).
26
27 >> filesystems aren't even unmounted and thus dirty and thus need
28 >> a fsck run on next boot.
29 >
30 > XFS to the rescue :-)
31
32 Yep. Well, to be honest, I haven't had a fs die on me, because
33 of a Alt+SysRq+B.
34
35 Michael Schmarck
36 --
37 Inspiration without perspiration is usually sterile.
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list