From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:05:46
1 On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:40:37 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
3 >
4 > > > Neil even proposed ALT +
5 > > > SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and
6 > > > unmounted.
7 > >
8 > > Which might or might not work. But note that I was also talking
9 > > about applications being in a corrupted state (the database example).
10 >
11 > E sends a SIGTERM to all applications. Any well behaved application
12 > should shut down cleanly on this. I sends a SIGKILL, but it only affects
13 > programs that were so locked up they ignored E, so you have nothing to
14 > lose by then.
17 I tried ALT + SysRq + EISUB today on my MythTV backend server which
18 has been crashing lately. Unfortunately it's crashing so badly that
19 even at the server's keyboard this didn't work.
20
21 I guess my weekend fate of building a new server is sealed...
22
23 Cheers,
24 Mark
25 --