From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:51:17
1 On Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:46:38 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 10:27 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > Actually, there are several large corporations that use RDP-like
4 > > technologies. Although those are called "VDI" and usually use XenDesktop
5 > > on the server side and "icaclient" on the client.
6 > > Runs through HTTPS and apart from keyloggers and screenloggers, there is
7 > > not much that can be done.
8 > > Using 2-factor authentication (RSA-type keys or similar) they're pretty
9 > > secure.
10 >
11 > Yeah, I would agree with that. I've set up a few thin client citrix
12 > boxes ages ago. These days I'd say the web is the bigger trend, and I
13 > agree that 2-factor can greatly reduce the impact of keylogging. One
14 > of the nice things with one of the SaaS applications we're using at
15 > work is that if we're having connection issues I can just wake up my
16 > console on my home PC next to my VPN'ed laptop and see if the
17 > application is accessible with a complete different route (suffice it
18 > to say I sometimes dread using the office LAN for this reason - I've
19 > seen file transfers go faster over the VPN than the local WiFi).
20 >
21 > But, if you're still stuck with win32 applications Citrix is certainly
22 > a solution. I was thinking it might take over the corporate desktop
23 > until everything started moving more towards the web.
24
25 XenDesktop is actually a lot nicer than the classical "Citrix".
26 You end up with a full VM rather than a multi-user hack on top of a single
27 user OS.
28
29 I prefer to work using VDI/icaclient than with the company supplied laptops.
30 Especially since my own laptop and desktop is nicer to type with and the
31 screen is better quality...
34 Joost