From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 15:46:53
1 On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 10:27 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Actually, there are several large corporations that use RDP-like technologies.
4 > Although those are called "VDI" and usually use XenDesktop on the server side
5 > and "icaclient" on the client.
6 > Runs through HTTPS and apart from keyloggers and screenloggers, there is not
7 > much that can be done.
8 > Using 2-factor authentication (RSA-type keys or similar) they're pretty
9 > secure.
12 Yeah, I would agree with that. I've set up a few thin client citrix
13 boxes ages ago. These days I'd say the web is the bigger trend, and I
14 agree that 2-factor can greatly reduce the impact of keylogging. One
15 of the nice things with one of the SaaS applications we're using at
16 work is that if we're having connection issues I can just wake up my
17 console on my home PC next to my VPN'ed laptop and see if the
18 application is accessible with a complete different route (suffice it
19 to say I sometimes dread using the office LAN for this reason - I've
20 seen file transfers go faster over the VPN than the local WiFi).
21
22 But, if you're still stuck with win32 applications Citrix is certainly
23 a solution. I was thinking it might take over the corporate desktop
24 until everything started moving more towards the web.
27 Rich