From: michael@×××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 09:32:08
1 On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 060101 Chris White wrote:
4 >> On Saturday 31 December 2005 22:35, C. Beamer wrote:
5 >>> Fedora: 3.45
6 >>> *Gentoo: 3.75*
7 >>> Mandriva: 3.70
8 >>> Suse: 3.40
9 >>> Ubuntu: 3.90
10 >> Word of advice, things like this are generally flawed.
11 >
12 > Quite true, but I believe CB's point was simply
13 > that Gentoo is up there with the other well-known distros for usability.
14 >
15 >> The best distro for your needs is the one
16 >> that best suits what you expect your system to do.
17 >
18 > Again, people out there should know that Gentoo may well be that distro.
19 > Gentoo is not difficult, but requires on-going attention & input from users:
20 > in return, you get a system which you can tune to do just what you want.
21 >
22 > My own recent experience trying to update the OS in my back-up machine was
23 > that Mandriva 2006 wouldn't install, Kubuntu could not be configured,
24 > as it refused to recognise the password (it uses the same for user & root),
25 > while Suse required downloading & writing 5 ISO's;
26 > Ubuntu, of course, is only for those who are willing to use Gnome.
27 > Finally, I got Mandriva 2005 installed & working well enough,
28 > but only with a lot of time & effort (the machine too slow for Gentoo).
29 >
30 > OTOH I've been using Gentoo in my main box without problems since 031005
31 > & have a fully upto-date environment which does just what I want it to do.
32 >
33 > Gentoo is probably suitable for a lot more users than realise it.
34
35 How slow is too slow for Gentoo? I'm using Gentoo on a 233MHz laptop.
36 It's not fast, but it's perfectly adequate. Install did take over a
37 week, I'll admit.
38
39 I'm curious because I seem to do a lot of squeezing the most out of
40 underpowered computers, and Gentoo has been my friend in these projects.
41 I would like to know what conditions are not well suited to Gentoo.
42
43 Michael
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list