From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 10:23:10
1 michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > How slow is too slow for Gentoo? I'm using Gentoo on a 233MHz laptop.
5 > It's not fast, but it's perfectly adequate. Install did take over a
6 > week, I'll admit.
7 >
8 > I'm curious because I seem to do a lot of squeezing the most out of
9 > underpowered computers, and Gentoo has been my friend in these projects.
10 > I would like to know what conditions are not well suited to Gentoo.
11 >
12 > Michael
16 I have Gentoo on a old Compaq Server, it's in my sig below, and at the
17 time I installed it, it only had one CPU. It took me a few hours to get
18 to a console prompt. It has no GUI, no monitor either. It runs great
19 by the way.
20
21 > root@putput / # uptime
22 > 04:14:46 up 20 days, 5:23, 1 user, load average: 4.00, 4.00, 4.00
23 > root@putput / #
26 I shut it down only when a storm is coming. I only have a UPS for my
27 desktop system. I had rude shutdowns. It runs folding and that is it.
28
29 All that said, I would like to see Gentoo on a 75MHz rig. That would be
30 fun to watch KDE compile on. LOL What, maybe a month or two, at
31 least. LOL
32
33 Dale
34 :-)
38 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
39
40 I have four rigs:
41
42 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives. Named Smoker
43 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive. Named Swifty
44 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 224MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive. Named Pokey
45 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive. Named Putput
46
47 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list