From: Darryl Wagoner <darryl-prv@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:26:32
1 Greetings,
2
3 I am new to Gentoo user. I have been using Linux since slackware was the
4 only distro. I had been using Red Hat for many years until Red Hat until
5 they out grow the desktop users. I tried Mandrake for a while and found it
6 was a pain to upgrade applications or install new applications because of
7 version shew of GTK, etc. Then other things would break.
8
9 I had stayed away from Gentoo because of the "high maintains". But I
10 couldn't find anything else that seem to fit my needs. So I gave Gentoo a
11 go and have regretted it every since. Regretted not doing it years before
12 that is.
13
14 I can understand why it is a distro for experts. First it takes away too
15 long to compile everything and configuring the kernel isn't for a linux
16 newbee either. That is the downside, the upside is that you only have to do
17 it once. Then you can keep everything up to date with emerge. So far I
18 have installed 3 systems with Gentoo and I am going to try to make it the
19 standard at my company. The tools are great! emerge, rc-update,
20 etc-update, etc.
21
22 I am a very happy user.
26 Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON
27
28 "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]