From: Alex Luehm <alex@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how best to encrypt a file
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 15:31:39
1 On July 3, 2018 7:33:27 AM CDT, Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 3.7.2018 13:27, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> 180703 Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 05:47:22AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>>> I have a couple of small files which need to be encrypted :
6 >>>> one is simple text ( .txt ), the other a spreadsheet ( .ods ).
7 >>>> I haven't used encryption like this before : what do others use ?
8 >>> I have used `gpg' to do this before:
9 >>> # Encrypt with a passphrase
10 >>> gpg -c <file>
11 >>> # Decrypt
12 >>> gpg -d <file>.gpg
13 >>> I do have some files I keep encrypted locally
14 >>> that I use `gpg' to encrypt/decrypt, but with my personal key pair.
15 >>> For that, I use a vim plugin [1] that transparently decrypts to
16 >`/tmp',
17 >>> lets me edit and then saves back to the original file.
18 >>> This prevents the decrypted contents from ever being on my hard
19 >drive,
20 >>> as I have `/tmp' mounted as tmpfs.
21 >> Thanks, that's very helpful except that you forgot to append [1]
22 >(smile).
23 >>
24 >> I don't need to encrypt the files locally,
25 >> but do need to when I create copies to up-load as off-site back-ups.
26 >>
27 >> Does anyone else have a useful suggestion ?
28 >>
29 >Hi,
30 >
31 >there is "reverse" encfs if there are more files to encrypt for backup.
32 >
33 >encfs --reverse ~/dir /tmp/dir
34 >
35 >It will encrypt original files on fly as you read /tmp/dir.
36 >
37 >I used this before (now I backup with duplicity).
38 >
39 >S
40 >
41 >PS: link to arch page with some more info
42 >
43 >https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EncFS#Encrypted_backup
44
45 I'd recommend taking a look at borg backup. I've used it for remote backups over ssh and the deduplication and automatic encryption is aweaome. Maybe a bit overkill, but I believe in encryptes backups.
48 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.