From: Samuraiii <samurai.no.dojo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how best to encrypt a file
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 12:33:49
1 On 3.7.2018 13:27, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 180703 Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 05:47:22AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> I have a couple of small files which need to be encrypted :
5 >>> one is simple text ( .txt ), the other a spreadsheet ( .ods ).
6 >>> I haven't used encryption like this before : what do others use ?
7 >> I have used `gpg' to do this before:
8 >> # Encrypt with a passphrase
9 >> gpg -c <file>
10 >> # Decrypt
11 >> gpg -d <file>.gpg
12 >> I do have some files I keep encrypted locally
13 >> that I use `gpg' to encrypt/decrypt, but with my personal key pair.
14 >> For that, I use a vim plugin [1] that transparently decrypts to `/tmp',
15 >> lets me edit and then saves back to the original file.
16 >> This prevents the decrypted contents from ever being on my hard drive,
17 >> as I have `/tmp' mounted as tmpfs.
18 > Thanks, that's very helpful except that you forgot to append [1] (smile).
19 >
20 > I don't need to encrypt the files locally,
21 > but do need to when I create copies to up-load as off-site back-ups.
22 >
23 > Does anyone else have a useful suggestion ?
24 >
25 Hi,
26
27 there is "reverse" encfs if there are more files to encrypt for backup.
28
29 encfs --reverse ~/dir /tmp/dir
30
31 It will encrypt original files on fly as you read /tmp/dir.
32
33 I used this before (now I backup with duplicity).
34
35 S
36
37 PS: link to arch page with some more info
38
39 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EncFS#Encrypted_backup