From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something weird and I'm confused. BIOS and SATA is empty
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 18:36:43
1 Am 06.11.2011 15:26, schrieb Dale:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> Can you set in your BIOS which controller IDE or SATA manages the
4 >> drives? I'm not sure why you have a symlink to your /usr/src/linux
5 >> files from /boot (I don't understand it). In /boot you should have the
6 >> image files themselves of your desired kernels (plus corresponding
7 >> System and .config files).
8 >
9 > I can but it seems to do the same thing either way. I don't reboot much
10 > so maybe it is something in my head. I'm pretty sure it used to list
11 > the drives on the main BIOS screen then when the controller screen comes
12 > up it detects them for AHCI. What gets me is them not being seen while
13 > I am in the BIOS itself. I know it used to see them there. Whenever I
14 > add a drive or something, I check to make sure it sees everything
15 > correctly before I even boot my OS. That way if I have a bad cable or
16 > forgot to connect something, I can fix it without booting and having to
17 > shutdown again. Saves time.
20 Another idea: Do the disks spin up fast enough? Maybe the disks are not
21 ready in time to be picked up by the first BIOS screen. Then when they
22 spin up, they are detected by AHCI (which is hot-plug capable) just in
23 time for loading Grub.
24
25 Did you add any new hardware recently? I remember you wanted to install
26 new disks. Maybe your power supply cannot take the load and this delays
27 things. I've never seen this particular problem but this
28 bootup-powerspike is the reason why large disk arrays typically start
29 one disk after the other.
30
31 > I copy my kernels by hand. Always have. It appears that under arch is
32 > x86 and x86_64 and I copied from x86_64. Thing is, that is only a
33 > symlink to x86 so it becomes a link in /boot instead. Well, when grub
34 > tries to follow the link, root is not mounted yet and it can't see the
35 > file. So, this one was on me. I got to remember not to copy from the
36 > x86_64 even tho I have a 64 bit rig.
39 Odd thing. I never noticed they were symlinks. A simple `sudo cp ...`
40 does the right thing here. Did you use `cp -a`, maybe through an alias?