From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something weird and I'm confused. BIOS and SATA is empty
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:22:39
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 06.11.2011 15:26, schrieb Dale:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> Can you set in your BIOS which controller IDE or SATA manages the
5 >>> drives? I'm not sure why you have a symlink to your /usr/src/linux
6 >>> files from /boot (I don't understand it). In /boot you should have the
7 >>> image files themselves of your desired kernels (plus corresponding
8 >>> System and .config files).
9 >> I can but it seems to do the same thing either way. I don't reboot much
10 >> so maybe it is something in my head. I'm pretty sure it used to list
11 >> the drives on the main BIOS screen then when the controller screen comes
12 >> up it detects them for AHCI. What gets me is them not being seen while
13 >> I am in the BIOS itself. I know it used to see them there. Whenever I
14 >> add a drive or something, I check to make sure it sees everything
15 >> correctly before I even boot my OS. That way if I have a bad cable or
16 >> forgot to connect something, I can fix it without booting and having to
17 >> shutdown again. Saves time.
18 >>
19 > Another idea: Do the disks spin up fast enough? Maybe the disks are not
20 > ready in time to be picked up by the first BIOS screen. Then when they
21 > spin up, they are detected by AHCI (which is hot-plug capable) just in
22 > time for loading Grub.
23 >
24 > Did you add any new hardware recently? I remember you wanted to install
25 > new disks. Maybe your power supply cannot take the load and this delays
26 > things. I've never seen this particular problem but this
27 > bootup-powerspike is the reason why large disk arrays typically start
28 > one disk after the other.
29
30 Actually it does the same even when I am rebooting. The drives don't
31 spin down when rebooting right?. It is a heck of a thought tho. Just
32 for the record, I have a 650 watt P/S in this beast. I got one plenty
33 large enough to handle anything that would fit, except a space heater of
34 course. lol I think I hear foldingathome calling. It's starting to
35 get cold. As soon as the day temps cool off, folding will be running.
36
37 No new hardware yet. I do plan to add a drive or two tho. I just
38 haven't got around to finding one yet. I did check all the connections
39 tho, power and data. And now that it is booted, everything seems to
40 work like usual.
41
42 >> I copy my kernels by hand. Always have. It appears that under arch is
43 >> x86 and x86_64 and I copied from x86_64. Thing is, that is only a
44 >> symlink to x86 so it becomes a link in /boot instead. Well, when grub
45 >> tries to follow the link, root is not mounted yet and it can't see the
46 >> file. So, this one was on me. I got to remember not to copy from the
47 >> x86_64 even tho I have a 64 bit rig.
48 >>
49 > Odd thing. I never noticed they were symlinks. A simple `sudo cp ...`
50 > does the right thing here. Did you use `cp -a`, maybe through an alias?
53 I do use -av out of habit. That habit started when I was copying
54 installs from one drive to another. I don't think I have any aliases
55 anymore. It would be good if I just copied the right thing. :/
56
57 I did download a new sysrescue thingy. Maybe it is just a bad version
58 or something or just a bad file on the stick. Still not sure about the
59 BIOS part tho.
60
61 Dale
62