From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:14:04
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-08-19 9:36 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I rather suspect that they are going after the cloud/VM market ...
5 >> having VM's boot quickly and simply along with no desire/need to fault
6 >> find and repair ... just rm it and spin up another instance.
9 > Nothing to 'suspect'... they have made it very clear that that is precisely
10 > where this (systemd) is coming from.
13 >> It makes sense in that market ... what doesn't is pushing it into areas
14 >> that are not appropriate and people dont want it.
17 > Exactly, and exactly.
20 >> I still have not seen an adequate explanation as to why systemd isn't a
21 >> profile as its far more intrusive than a gnome/kde choice and they have
22 >> profiles. That way some bad choices like polluting systems with systemd
23 >> files because they are only small and insignificant might be avoided. I
24 >> have used the mask method but did waste some time on chasing down odd
25 >> errors due to missing file errors in the logs so I would rather not have
26 >> them on the system at all.
27 >>
28 >> So why not a profile so those guys who want to play can get a
29 >> configuration that better suits them?
32 > I have to say that makes the most sense to me...
33 >
34 > Would love to hear *rational* comments from the systemd purveyors as to why
35 > this shouldn't be done.
36
37 Yohan already say it: you would need to do several combinations
38 (systemd+GNOME, systemd+KDE, systemd+SELinux, etc.)
39
40 Your "polluted" files are nothing (3MB, including binaries in a
41 *systemd* installation... if you don't use systemd they should take
42 less than 512KB); you don't want the profile "solution" for technical
43 reasons, you want it for political reasons.
44
45 That is not going to happen, and the (majority of) Gentoo maintainers
46 (including the council) already stated that, if you don't want systemd
47 unit files "polluting" your system, please use INSTALL_MASK.
48
49 Regards.
50 --
51 Canek Peláez Valdés