From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:43:46
1 On 2013-08-19 9:36 AM, William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > I rather suspect that they are going after the cloud/VM market ...
3 > having VM's boot quickly and simply along with no desire/need to fault
4 > find and repair ... just rm it and spin up another instance.
5
6 Nothing to 'suspect'... they have made it very clear that that is
7 precisely where this (systemd) is coming from.
8
9 > It makes sense in that market ... what doesn't is pushing it into areas
10 > that are not appropriate and people dont want it.
11
12 Exactly, and exactly.
13
14 > I still have not seen an adequate explanation as to why systemd isn't a
15 > profile as its far more intrusive than a gnome/kde choice and they have
16 > profiles. That way some bad choices like polluting systems with systemd
17 > files because they are only small and insignificant might be avoided. I
18 > have used the mask method but did waste some time on chasing down odd
19 > errors due to missing file errors in the logs so I would rather not have
20 > them on the system at all.
21 >
22 > So why not a profile so those guys who want to play can get a
23 > configuration that better suits them?
24
25 I have to say that makes the most sense to me...
26
27 Would love to hear *rational* comments from the systemd purveyors as to
28 why this shouldn't be done.