From: "Andrés Becerra Sandoval" <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel 2 manual
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:51:56
1 On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM, João Matos <jaoneto@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi list.
3 >
4 > I've been using Gentoo for quite a long time, and today I decided to try
5 > compiling the kernel myself, Thing I've never done before. I want a smaller
6 > kernel, a faster boot (without initramfs) and, of course, some fun :).
7 >
8 > I'm still reading the oficial documentation, but I don't think it will be
9 > enough, so, if anyone of you know some documentation more detailed, I'd
10 > appreciate reading it.
11 >
12 > I've just ran 'make xconfig', and I noticed that the configuration is the
13 > same from genkernel (genkernel --menuconfig). Is it good? Should I get an
14 > original .conf, with less garbage, or this is just the 'normal default'
15 > instead of 'genkernel default' as I'm guessing?
16 >
17 > Is there any tool that can scan my pc and help me out with the .conf or even
18 > generate one? I guess not. There are lots of options that I have no idea
19 > what they are for. I think this will be the fun part, but I think I can't
20 > get a running kernel before I optimize it, so I can do it gradually.
21 >
22 > Just for curiosity, what is the size of your kernel? Mine is 3.4 MB.
23 >
24 > Thank you,
25 > --
26 > João de Matos
27 > Linux User #461527
30 A small tip:
31
32 - Do lsmod in your genkernel kernel
33 - Write down the list
34 - For any module loaded find the corresponding option in the kernel
35 configuration
36 - Read briefly the description for the option
37 - Do a crosscheck with the output of lspci and lsusb
38
39 Have fun!
42 Andrés Becerra Sandoval