From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 05:32:08
1 On 2011-05-12 23:44, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Your questions don't disprove what me and others have posted. As I have
4
5 I think Alans point is that while the KDE developers (volunteers, or
6 paid for) have certain goals which may or may not be tangential to yours
7 (clearly, in the case of KDE3 vs KDE4 they are not). So unless you pay
8 someone to have your specific requirements satisfied you don't get to
9 complain.
10 The volunteers have an "itch to scratch", i.e. they want some certain
11 functionality which they care about and are, probably, not interested in
12 anything else. Paid for developers are (probably/most likely) being told
13 what to work on. And developer resources are, probably, scarce so... If
14 you (and others) wish KDE3 to be supported then you either need to: 1.
15 Support/maintain KDE3 yourselves. 2. Pay someone to support/maintain
16 KDE3. That's the way it works, which is also somewhat valid for
17 commercial software, but you usually don't get the option of paying the
18 producer to maintain your specific version unless you are a _big_
19 customer (with lots of money), but with open source you at least have
20 the option of "scratching an itch" yourself or paying someone to do the
21 work for you (and even pool resources with people who share the same
22 interests).
23
24 > mistake. I point it out so that hopefully it won't be made again.
25
26 Of course, anyone can have an opinion! :-D
27
28 Best regards
29
30 Peter K