From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 21:47:29
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Thursday 12 May 2011, Dale did opine
3 > thusly:
6 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> On Thu, 12 May 2011 08:46:32 -0500, Dale wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>> So, you think most of the KDE users were happy to see support for KDE3
11 >>>> being dropped, especially considering KDE4 was much less than stable?
12 >>>> For me and a lot of others, it was worthless at first. It was good eye
13 >>>> candy but not functional even for the little I do.
14 >>>>
15 >>> I didn't switch until 4.3 or 4.4, KDE 3.5 worked fine for me up until
16 >>> then. It probably still works just as well now as part of the Trinity
17 >>> project.
18 >>>
19 >> Which supports my point. Maintain KDE3 until KDE4 is stable and
20 >> usable. If it is still working, which I think it is tho some fixes have
21 >> had to be made, then why couldn't KDE support KDE3 just a little while
22 >> longer.
25 > So here's two killer questions for you:
26 >
27 > 1. How much money did you pay towards KDE dev salaries overall?
28 > 2. How many times does your name appear in KDE Changelogs?
29 >
30 > While the answer to both is "zero" you do not get to complain.
31 >
32 > Here's another killer:
33 >
34 > Q. What's the difference between KDE devs and Dale?
35 > A: KDE devs launched an editor and typed code.
39 Your questions don't disprove what me and others have posted. As I have
40 said on the KDE mailing list, KDE made a serious mistake dropping KDE3
41 before KDE4 was ready. I didn't make that decision so it is not my
42 mistake regardless of what is paid or not paid or what effort I have or
43 have not put into it. There is a LOT of things that are beyond my
44 control but it doesn't mean I don't have the right to point out a
45 mistake. I point it out so that hopefully it won't be made again.
46
47 Dale
48