From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and USB Stick
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:45:38
1 On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:13:41 -0200, Cláudio Henrique wrote:
2
3 > *My system:*
4 > I use the latest stable version of KDE, ivman, hal, and dbus.
5
6 You don't need ivman with KDE, as long as KDE is merged with the hal USE
7 flag.
8
9 > In /etc/fstab I say that /dev/sda1 must be mounted on /mnt/usb, and can
10 > be unmounted by any user..
11
12 You don't want /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab, let KDE create the appropriate
13 mount point in /media.
14
15 > *Where I am:
16 > *Everytime I insert a USB Stick in my computer, ivman automatically
17 > creates a /dev/sdN1, where N can be any letter, and mounts it
18 > in /media/KINGSTON or in /media/KINGSTON1. I can't predict the letter
19 > (N value) nor if the media will be mounted on KINGSTON or KINGSTON1.
20
21 KDE uses the volume name of the partition to pick the name of the device.
22 So the /dev/sdN value is irrelevant. If you want that to be consistent,
23 set up a persistent naming rule for udev, see
24 http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
25
26 > I wanna create a link on my desktop for easy access to this USB Stick.
27 > And I want to unmount this driver using a common user. I have followed
28 > ivman wiki page from top to bottom, but I still can't do this.
29
30 See http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_D-BUS,_HAL,_KDE_media:/
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.