From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:59:18
1 Arttu V. wrote:
2 > On 5/23/09, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> This is what I get with this command:
5 >>
6 >> root@smoker / # emerge -ep system | grep python
7 >> [ebuild R ] app-admin/python-updater-0.5
8 >> [ebuild R ] dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2
9 >> root@smoker / #
10 >>
11 >> So python is there if you do it emptytree.
14 > emptytree pulls in *all* dependencies, regardless of whether they are
15 > in the system set or even if they are just regular dependencies
16 > (random packages) from an external overlay. So you're not comparing
17 > apples to apples there with -e, you're getting lot of false positives
18 > from outside the real system set.
19 >
20 > It is still a good question why one would have any system set packages
21 > having critical dependencies to non-system set packages, but reasoning
22 > for that has to be asked from the portage devs ...
23 >
24 > But backing up a little, try this instead for an amusement (remember
25 > to --pretend or --ask):
26 >
27 > ~ # emerge -pvC python
30 >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
31 >>>>
32 >
33 > dev-lang/python
34 > selected: 2.5.4-r2
35 > protected: none
36 > omitted: none
39 >>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
40 >>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
41 >>>>
42 >
43 > ~ # emerge -pvC binutils
46 >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
47 >>>>
50 > !!! 'sys-devel/binutils' is part of your system profile.
51 > !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
54 > sys-devel/binutils
55 > selected: 2.18-r3
56 > protected: none
57 > omitted: none
60 >>>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
61 >>>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
62 >>>>
63 >
64 > ~ #
67 > Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
68 > warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
69 > the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
70 > set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
71 > email.
72 >
73 > AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
74 > work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
75 > binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
76 > also what is happening on your smoker. :)
77 >
78 > Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
79 > outright nullify them? :)
83 Hmmm, I think someone needs to rethink the system set then. After all,
84 portage does not work well without python. It should keep a binary copy
85 but it should also warn you if you are typing without your thinking cap on.
86
87 Anyone else think this is a bug? Or should be thought out again as to
88 being included is system set?
89
90 Dale
91