From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:52:16
1 On 5/23/09, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > This is what I get with this command:
3 >
4 > root@smoker / # emerge -ep system | grep python
5 > [ebuild R ] app-admin/python-updater-0.5
6 > [ebuild R ] dev-lang/python-2.5.4-r2
7 > root@smoker / #
8 >
9 > So python is there if you do it emptytree.
10
11 emptytree pulls in *all* dependencies, regardless of whether they are
12 in the system set or even if they are just regular dependencies
13 (random packages) from an external overlay. So you're not comparing
14 apples to apples there with -e, you're getting lot of false positives
15 from outside the real system set.
16
17 It is still a good question why one would have any system set packages
18 having critical dependencies to non-system set packages, but reasoning
19 for that has to be asked from the portage devs ...
20
21 But backing up a little, try this instead for an amusement (remember
22 to --pretend or --ask):
23
24 ~ # emerge -pvC python
25
26 >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
27
28 dev-lang/python
29 selected: 2.5.4-r2
30 protected: none
31 omitted: none
32
33 >>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
34 >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
35
36 ~ # emerge -pvC binutils
37
38 >>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
41 !!! 'sys-devel/binutils' is part of your system profile.
42 !!! Unmerging it may be damaging to your system.
45 sys-devel/binutils
46 selected: 2.18-r3
47 protected: none
48 omitted: none
49
50 >>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
51 >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
52
53 ~ #
56 Note how binutils still is within the system set and gets the extra
57 warning, while python doesn't get the special system set warning with
58 the three exclamation marks? I.e., python *is no longer* in the system
59 set, probably removed by the very change I gave a link for in previous
60 email.
61
62 AFAIK (haven't checked in portage code), buildsyspkg and such only
63 work with the packages explicitly mentioned in the system set, so
64 binutils is in, python is (nowadays) out -- and that probably explains
65 also what is happening on your smoker. :)
66
67 Anyone finding flaws in my theories or facts or observations that
68 outright nullify them? :)
71 Arttu V.