From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} RAM & apache MaxClients (rock & a hard place)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:54:10
1 On 07/03/2013 23:48, Grant wrote:
2 >>> It sounds like having apache serve dynamic .html pages and nginx
3 >>> serve images on the same port means turning apache into a proxy for
4 >>> nginx which I'm hoping isn't too difficult. Could this pose any
5 >>> problems for an ecommerce site?
6 >>
7 >>> Changing completely from a user-facing apache to a user-facing nginx
8 >>> sounds fraught with peril.
9 >>
10 >> Yet this is the way it's done. If you have apache serve as a proxy for
11 >> nginx, you gain absolutely *nothing*; every inbound connection still
12 >> takes Apache resources, and that's exactly what you need to introduce a
13 >> proxy to alleviate.
14 >
15 > Understood. Can anyone who has made a switch like this comment on
16 > potential (SSL-related?) pitfalls?
17
18 The last time I set this up was for one of our e-commerce sites on Centos.
19
20 It went like this:
21
22 install nginx
23 vi config file
24 change obvious stuff
25 tweak location of nginx and backend web server
26 restart stuff
27 stuff worked
28
29 Even the SSL certs was mind-bogglingly easy. Copy it over to nginx.
30 Sorted. Done.
31
32 Lucky for me, I could firewall off the backend web server from the
33 entire world so users never see it directly. This let me dispense with a
34 CE signed cert for the backend and just create my own.
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com