From: Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on SSD
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:33:51
1 On Saturday, 23 September 2017 21:27:45 CEST Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > > Hello to everyone,
6 > > I just bought a 250 GB SSD and I'm planning to install Gentoo on it. I've
7 >
8 > read
9 >
10 > > the Gentoo Wiki page on this and searched Google for hints on this, but
11 >
12 > since
13 >
14 > > I found out that much information was either contradictory or outdated,
15 >
16 > I'm
17 >
18 > > asking anyone with first-hand experience on this for advice.
19 > >
20 > > My system is as follows:
21 > >
22 > > - 250GB SSD
23 > > - 1TB HDD
24 > > - 16GB RAM
25 > >
26 > > I'm planning to partition the SSD this way:
27 > >
28 > > - 100 GB -> / (on my current system, / is about 70GB)
29 > > - 100 GB -> /home
30 > > - 16 GB -> swap (mainly for hibernation)
31 > > - 200 MB -> /boot
32 > >
33 > > /var/tmp/portage should go into a tmpfs (12GB).
34 > >
35 > > I've read that someone suggested putting also /tmp on a tmpfs. Right now,
36 >
37 > on
38 >
39 > > my system /tmp is less than 100 MB, so I believe this should cause no
40 > > problems, but is it necessary?
41 > >
42 > > Large files, such as Steam games and maybe distfiles should instead go on
43 >
44 > the
45 >
46 > > 1TB HDD.
47 > >
48 > > I have some doubts about the swap partition. With 16 GB of RAM I shouldn't
49 > > usually need swap except for hibernating (that's the reason I'm putting
50 >
51 > it on
52 >
53 > > the SSD); however, I fear that compiling some large packages could fill
54 >
55 > all
56 >
57 > > that space. Would it be bad to have the swap partition on the SSD used
58 >
59 > this
60 >
61 > > way every now and then? Should I create another swap partition on the HDD
62 >
63 > and
64 >
65 > > give it higher priority?
66 > >
67 > > What do you think? Do you have any advice on how to best set up such a
68 >
69 > system?
70 >
71 > I use a similar setup. Several top-level directories in my $HOME are bind
72 > mounts to a large mechanical drive. My swap (16GB) is on that drive also.
73 > I've found that 100MB is enough for the EFI /boot partition (but I clean
74 > old kernels immediately after updating).
75 >
76 > For the /tmp I use tmpfs (I use the size=100% option), and then in
77 > /etc/portage/make.conf I have:
78 >
79 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
80 >
81 > This way I fully use /tmp when compiling large packages, and don't wear
82 > down my SSD.
83 >
84 > Regards.
85 > --
86 > Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
87 > Profesor de Carrera Asociado C
88 > Departamento de Matemáticas
89 > Facultad de Ciencias
90 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
91
92 Thanks for the information
93
94 Stefano