From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on SSD
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:28:13
1 On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Stefano Crocco <posta@×××××××××××××.it>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello to everyone,
5 > I just bought a 250 GB SSD and I'm planning to install Gentoo on it. I've
6 read
7 > the Gentoo Wiki page on this and searched Google for hints on this, but
8 since
9 > I found out that much information was either contradictory or outdated,
10 I'm
11 > asking anyone with first-hand experience on this for advice.
12 >
13 > My system is as follows:
14 >
15 > - 250GB SSD
16 > - 1TB HDD
17 > - 16GB RAM
18 >
19 > I'm planning to partition the SSD this way:
20 >
21 > - 100 GB -> / (on my current system, / is about 70GB)
22 > - 100 GB -> /home
23 > - 16 GB -> swap (mainly for hibernation)
24 > - 200 MB -> /boot
25 >
26 > /var/tmp/portage should go into a tmpfs (12GB).
27 >
28 > I've read that someone suggested putting also /tmp on a tmpfs. Right now,
29 on
30 > my system /tmp is less than 100 MB, so I believe this should cause no
31 > problems, but is it necessary?
32 >
33 > Large files, such as Steam games and maybe distfiles should instead go on
34 the
35 > 1TB HDD.
36 >
37 > I have some doubts about the swap partition. With 16 GB of RAM I shouldn't
38 > usually need swap except for hibernating (that's the reason I'm putting
39 it on
40 > the SSD); however, I fear that compiling some large packages could fill
41 all
42 > that space. Would it be bad to have the swap partition on the SSD used
43 this
44 > way every now and then? Should I create another swap partition on the HDD
45 and
46 > give it higher priority?
47 >
48 > What do you think? Do you have any advice on how to best set up such a
49 system?
50
51 I use a similar setup. Several top-level directories in my $HOME are bind
52 mounts to a large mechanical drive. My swap (16GB) is on that drive also.
53 I've found that 100MB is enough for the EFI /boot partition (but I clean
54 old kernels immediately after updating).
55
56 For the /tmp I use tmpfs (I use the size=100% option), and then in
57 /etc/portage/make.conf I have:
58
59 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
60
61 This way I fully use /tmp when compiling large packages, and don't wear
62 down my SSD.
63
64 Regards.
65 --