From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:06:04
1 Jarry writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 > > Something like that, I never used logrotate by myself. See the man
6 > > page for more information.
7 >
8 > Let me ask: how do you deal with /var/log/wtmp? I think it does not
9 > go through syslog, and even it it does, it is not easy to process it
10 > whit that syslog-macro because it is not pure text file. Do you
11 > let it grow forever? Or how do you transfer it to log-server?
12
13 I just let it grow and grow and grow... on my server, which is running
14 Gentoo for seven years now, it has 27,000 entries, and is at 24 MB. This
15 is okay for me, and I like that I can I see when my fist login on the
16 system was.
17 If space is a concern, you can rename the file and compress it (compress
18 ratio here is 97%), and create is as empty again with 'touch
19 /var/log/wtmp'.
20
21 Wonko