From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:05:26
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 >> SUBJECT: Cron <root@obelix> test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons &&
3 >> /usr/sbin/run-crons
4 >> error: kernel:9 unknown option 'compytruncate' -- ignoring line
5 >> error: kernel:12 unknown option 'endscript' -- ignoring line
6 >> ------------------
7 > I assume you are using logrotate, and have the /etc/logrotate.d/kernel
8 > file? I guess the 'compytruncate' is misspelled and should be
9 > 'copytruncate'. And 'endscript' is used after using 'prerotate' or
10 > 'postrotate', which you probably do not have.
11
12 You are right: I just quickly created logrotate config for kernel
13 by copying from other config, misspeled that "compytruncate",
14 erased "postrotate" script but forgot to delete "endscript".
15 I completely forgot about this change, and when I received
16 email with "error: kernel" I immediatelly thought of some
17 kernel misconfiguration...
18
19 > Something like that, I never used logrotate by myself. See the man page
20 > for more information.
21
22 Let me ask: how do you deal with /var/log/wtmp? I think it does not
23 go through syslog, and even it it does, it is not easy to process it
24 whit that syslog-macro because it is not pure text file. Do you
25 let it grow forever? Or how do you transfer it to log-server?
26
27 Jarry
31 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
32 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.