From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Linux USB security holes.
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 15:40:29
1 On 2017-11-08, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I ran up on this link. Is there any truth to it and should any of us
6 >> Gentooers be worried about it?
7 >>
8 >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/07/linux_usb_security_bugs/
9 >>
10 >> Isn't Linux supposed to be more secure than this??
13 > In theory. There was no comment on the existence of such bugs in the
14 > Windows driver stack, but they likely exist. However, note:
15 >
16 > "The impact is quite limited, all the bugs require physical access to
17 > trigger," said Konovalov. "Most of them are denial-of-service, except
18 > for a few that might be potentially exploitable to execute code in the
19 > kernel."
20
21 Expecting a machine to be immune from DoS attacks by somebody who is
22 allowed to touch the machine is indeed delusion on a pretty grand
23 scale. Expecting a machine to be immune to other non-DoS attacks when
24 they can touch the machine is moderately deluded.
27 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Don't hit me!! I'm in
28 at the Twilight Zone!!!
29 gmail.com