From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux USB security holes.
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 05:49:18
1 On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:08 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I ran up on this link. Is there any truth to it and should any of us
5 > Gentooers be worried about it?
6 >
7 > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/07/linux_usb_security_bugs/
8 >
9 > Isn't Linux supposed to be more secure than this??
12 In theory. There was no comment on the existence of such bugs in the
13 Windows driver stack, but they likely exist. However, note:
14
15 "The impact is quite limited, all the bugs require physical access to
16 trigger," said Konovalov. "Most of them are denial-of-service, except
17 for a few that might be potentially exploitable to execute code in the
18 kernel."
19
20 Which is typically what one should expect from bugs discovered by fuzzing.
21
22 These are issues which should be fixed, but keep in mind that there
23 has been (and still is) lots of kernel development that focuses on
24 isolating the kernel from itself. The reporting of these bugs will
25 likely be used to make those mechanisms even better.
28 To compare, here is an "exploit" discovered in a monitor:
29 https://github.com/RedBalloonShenanigans/MonitorDarkly.
30
31 The prerequisites include having debug access to the monitor's
32 controller. Personally I am surprised this was presented at DefCon as
33 it does not really seem appropriate. At least the articles covering
34 the code should be reworded - it's exploiting the monitor almost the
35 same way you can exploit a car by driving it.
36
37 More and more security releases are starting to look like the above,
38 as the researchers and authors clamor for notability, which is
39 increasingly hard to find. I think the article you found strikes a
40 middle ground - the exploits are relevant in practice, but take a lot
41 of work to use.
42
43 Cheers,
44 R0b0t1