From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:50:26
1 On 30/07/2021 15:29, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Honestly I feel like the whole SMR thing is a missed opportunity,
3 > mainly because manufacturers decided to use it as a way to save a few
4 > bucks instead of as a new technology that can be embraced as long as
5 > you understand its benefits and limitations. One thing I don't get is
6 > why it is showing up on all sorts of smaller drives.
7
8 It's showing up on desktops because - PROVIDED THE CACHE IS LARGER THAN
9 THE AMOUNT OF DOCUMENTS IS ABLE TO GET THROUGH - it performs just fine.
10 So if you're using a pre-installed OS, and you mostly use your computer
11 to surf the web, watch youtube videos, etc, you're not going to stress
12 said cache.
13
14 Then Windows decides to download a major update and response times go
15 pear-shaped ...
16
17 Basically, so long as you don't fill the cache, your typical luser is
18 unlikely to notice. The snag is people like us are much more likely to
19 do things that put the cache under i/o pressure, and it's like a
20 motorway - once the traffic goes above the carrying capacity, throughput
21 COLLAPSES.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol