From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SMR drives (WAS: cryptsetup close and device in use when it is not)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:38:56
1 On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 12:50 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 30/07/2021 15:29, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Honestly I feel like the whole SMR thing is a missed opportunity,
5 > > mainly because manufacturers decided to use it as a way to save a few
6 > > bucks instead of as a new technology that can be embraced as long as
7 > > you understand its benefits and limitations. One thing I don't get is
8 > > why it is showing up on all sorts of smaller drives.
9 >
10 > It's showing up on desktops because - PROVIDED THE CACHE IS LARGER THAN
11 > THE AMOUNT OF DOCUMENTS IS ABLE TO GET THROUGH - it performs just fine.
12 > So if you're using a pre-installed OS, and you mostly use your computer
13 > to surf the web, watch youtube videos, etc, you're not going to stress
14 > said cache.
15
16 Well, in such a configuration an NVMe or even a SATA SSD would be FAR
17 more desirable.
18
19 Though, I guess an issue is consumers who buy for the numbers on the
20 specs who don't know better. 4TB is better than 0.25TB, so SMR it
21 is...
24 Rich