From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde login file ?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:51:20
1 James writes:
2
3 > When you run kde-4 on gentoo and use the kde-login-manager app
4 > are the login sessions recorded into a permanent or temporary file?
5 >
6 > I looked in /etc/kde ; /var/log/kdm.log and xdm.log
7 > and have found nothing.
8 >
9 > I did find /var/log/wtmp, but it is not in a human
10 > readable format?
11 >
12 > I did see utmp in /etc/group
13 > (utmp:x:406:)
14 > so I guess I'm just not up on what going on here......
17 > utmp or wtmp? What is standard for gentoo? running kde4?
18 >
19 > I cannot seem to locate a login file.
20 >
21 > Is the login file for kde4 standard across all(most) linux
22 > distros for kde 4?
23 >
24 > While I'm looking, where are the remote (ssh) login file
25 > records usually kept on Gentoo?
26 >
27 > Any discussion/education is most appreciated.
28
29 If you want to know, who is logged in and when someone logged in, check
30 the man page for utmp / wtmp. These files are not human readable indeed,
31 but you can use the 'who' or 'w' command to see who is currently logged
32 in, and the last command to see when someone logged in. The 2nd column
33 shows where the login came from (and the 3rd from where), it displays
34 'ssh' when someone logged in via ssh. ':0' means someone started a login
35 on the first X display. Probably using KDE4, but it may be any
36 other window manager. So I have no answer to your question about KDE
37 logins. And I don't knwo if the feature you are looking for exists at all.
38
39 Maybe you can hack /usr/share/config/kdm/Xsession, to add an entry in
40 some log file in case KDE is being started.
41
42 Wonko