From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Way OT - date listed for a directory in ls -l
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:29:29
1 On 14 August 2005 16:51, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > Under what condition is the date of a directory (shown with ls -l)
3 > updated? Is it when the directory is created, or when a file somewhere
4 > below the directory is updated or some other time? I make weekly
5 > backups of the user accounts on my server box. Because space and CD
6 > media are in limited supply (at least for me) I write the backups to CD
7 > once a month. Full backups are made on Sunday and after a new Sunday's
8 > backup has been made I edit the previous Sunday's backup and delete all
9 > files that hadn't been changed recently when that backup (the one I'm
10 > editing) was made. This is a somewhat time-consuming method. I was
11 > just wondering if the directory date could give me a clue as to the date
12 > of the most recent file updated under that directory...
13
14 Not really. The timestamp is changed when the directory itself (not it's
15 content) is written to. Creating a file in that directory (but not in a
16 subdirectory of it) changes it. Same for removing a file or renaming it.
17
18 Uwe
21 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
22 developers. - Linus Torvalds
23
24 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
25 --