From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Way OT - date listed for a directory in ls -l
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:56:36
1 Under what condition is the date of a directory (shown with ls -l)
2 updated? Is it when the directory is created, or when a file somewhere
3 below the directory is updated or some other time? I make weekly
4 backups of the user accounts on my server box. Because space and CD
5 media are in limited supply (at least for me) I write the backups to CD
6 once a month. Full backups are made on Sunday and after a new Sunday's
7 backup has been made I edit the previous Sunday's backup and delete all
8 files that hadn't been changed recently when that backup (the one I'm
9 editing) was made. This is a somewhat time-consuming method. I was
10 just wondering if the directory date could give me a clue as to the date
11 of the most recent file updated under that directory...
14 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list