From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I/net server throttling
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:33:40
1 On 2 July 2012 05:41, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 120701 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> Well, the simpler alternative in my case wb to use the UoT service.
4 >> I can 'ssh' into a CLI on the CHASS machine, which runs Irix,
5 >> then use 'wget' from there with a very fast connection.
6 >> Downloading a file from there to here would remain fairly slow,
7 >> but it wouldn't be subject to any throttling or slicing.
8 >
9 > I just did just that. CHASS has a 5 Gb/s Internet connection,
10 > so the whole file ( 25 MB ) arrived before the boom fell after c 39 s .
11 > They don't have Wget (!), but Lynx does the job equally well.
12 > Then I used Fuse to mount the remote dir locally
13 > & downloaded the file to my machine at c 75 KB/s in c 5 min ;
14 > I could have used Krusader instead & got a pretty progress box.
15
16 Look at this:
17
18 $ wget --no-check-certificate -c
19 http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
20 --2012-07-02 11:17:01-- http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
21 Resolving www.math.wisc.edu... 144.92.166.196
22 Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:80... connected.
23 HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
24 Location: https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
25 [following]
26 --2012-07-02 11:17:01--
27 https://www.math.wisc.edu/formMail/throttle.php?URL=/~keisler/keislercalc-2-12.pdf
28 Connecting to www.math.wisc.edu|144.92.166.196|:443... connected.
29 HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
30 Length: 24184097 (23M) [application/pdf]
31 Saving to: `keislercalc-2-12.pdf'
32
33 100%[=====================================>] 24,184,097 130K/s in 2m 50s
34
35 2012-07-02 11:19:52 (139 KB/s) - `keislercalc-2-12.pdf' saved
36 [24184097/24184097]
39 I managed to download it using a slow connection over 2m 50s, while
40 the connection was completely uninterrupted. So the 38s threshold
41 does not seem true, unless ...
42
43 I downloaded this behind a corporate gateway, so I don't know if the
44 slowness of the connection is only up to my gateway, rather than
45 between the gateway and the Uni server.
48 If you prefer to use a proxy anyway, you could set up a SOCKS 5 proxy
49 connection via ssh to the proxy server in question like so:
50
51 ssh -ND 12500 user@proxy_server (you don't have to use port 12500,
52 this is just an example)
53
54 then either set up the SOCKS 5 proxy in a browser/ftp client and use
55 that, or use proxychains. Running:
56
57 proxychains kdeinit4
58
59 should allow you to run Krusader to download the file without even
60 having to restart the Krusader application or set up its proxy
61 configuration.
62 --
63 Regards,
64 Mick