From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I/net server throttling
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 04:43:22
1 120701 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Well, the simpler alternative in my case wb to use the UoT service.
3 > I can 'ssh' into a CLI on the CHASS machine, which runs Irix,
4 > then use 'wget' from there with a very fast connection.
5 > Downloading a file from there to here would remain fairly slow,
6 > but it wouldn't be subject to any throttling or slicing.
7
8 I just did just that. CHASS has a 5 Gb/s Internet connection,
9 so the whole file ( 25 MB ) arrived before the boom fell after c 39 s .
10 They don't have Wget (!), but Lynx does the job equally well.
11 Then I used Fuse to mount the remote dir locally
12 & downloaded the file to my machine at c 75 KB/s in c 5 min ;
13 I could have used Krusader instead & got a pretty progress box.
14
15 BTW the file is a book mentioned by Carla Schroeder yesterday.
16 I don't really need it, but it looked interesting.
20 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
21 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
22 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca