From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I/net server throttling
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 03:56:47
1 120701 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> So 2 conclusions for me : (1) yes, servers do impose time-slices ;
4 >> (2) my basic problem remains the very low bandwidth I'm getting,
5 >> which I have to take up with my ISP once I've clarified other aspects.
6 > There's probably nothing your ISP can do about it,
7 > unless you're talking about upgrading your service.
8
9 The ISP doesn't own the physical wiring, recently upgraded to fibre.
10 A friend on the opposite side of town using the same ISP
11 gets 10 times the speed I get ( 5 Mb/s a/a 0,5 Mb/s ),
12 while the man next-door with the same wiring coming into the building
13 but using a different ISP gets 12 Mb/s .
14 My speed was cut in half c 12 mth ago for an unknown reason.
15 This is downtown Toronto, where I should get a good speed,
16 so I suspect either some accidental misconfiguration or dirty tricks.
17
18 > One thing you might be able to do is pay $5/mo or so
19 > for a Linux VM at some VPS provider, install and configure Squid
20 > and bounce your own traffic off of it.
21 > Squid will pull down the file faster than you
22 > and won't impose a connection time limit on you.
23 > If you do something like that, be sure to properly secure it.
24
25 Well, the simpler alternative in my case wb to use the UoT service.
26 I can 'ssh' into a CLI on the CHASS machine, which runs Irix,
27 then use 'wget' from there with a very fast connection.
28 Downloading a file from there to here would remain fairly slow,
29 but it wouldn't be subject to any throttling or slicing.
30 I tend to forget that resource, however (smile).
31
32 Thanks again for the advice & anyone's further thoughts.
36 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
37 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
38 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca