From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about History file
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:27:27
1 Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 07:10:10AM -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > I routinely am logged into a server with multiple consoles (I log in
7 > > with one (the same) regular user, then su - to root).
8 > >
9 > > This morning I tried to grep roots .bash_history for a command I ran
10 > > some time ago, and it wasn't there. I know I ran it, so I'd like to
11 > > configure my bash history so this doesn't happen again.
12 > >
13 > > Thinking about it a bit, the first issue I see is... when I am running
14 > > multiple consoles, each one having been started by first logging in as
15 > > my normal user, then su - to root, how does this affect the
16 > > .bash_history file? It seems like there would be a collision of some
17 > > kind, maybe result in the last one to log out 'winning' (that
18 > > .bash_history is the one that is saved/stored) or something?
19 > >
20 > > Maybe... would it be possible to use different regular users, then when
21 > > each one does the su - to root, have it create a separate .bash_history
22 > > file based on the original username? That would be perfect.
23 > >
24 > > I was also considering something like setting HISTSIZE=###, then adding
25 > > something to the logrotate.conf file to start rotating the history file,
26 > > so I don't lose anything - but I'm not sure if that would even work.
27 > >
28 > > So, I'm interested in how others do this... especially on a system that
29 > > has multiple users managing it.
30 > >
31 > > Thx... Charles
32 >
33 > Long ago living in a country far away on computers long since abandoned, some
34 > friendly sysadmin helped me set this up. For quite some time this has been on
35 > my "TO-DO" wishlist, so your query caused me to search the internet:
36 >
37 > http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ/088
38 >
39 > Hope this helps you and I both append our history for all open terminals.
42 Thanks, I thought history was always appended,but now I know.
45 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
46 How do
47 you spend it?
48
49 John Covici