From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a couple of baselayout2 problems
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:45:34
1 On Monday 30 March 2009 14:08:11 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Monday 30 March 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3
4 > > named is the BIND name server from the same guys as dhcpcd (and also
5 > > vixie- cron). It's a *reference* *implementation* of how a name server
6 > > should work (it exactly 100% behaves just like the RFCs say), but as a
7 > > name server in *production* it just sucks. It's extremely popular because
8 > > it's free and just because life evolved that way but in real life it's
9 > > the world's worst PITA to administer.
10 >
11 > hm, I hadn't trouble with named not stopping so far. Now apache updates...
12 > that is a can of worms.
13
14 Did you try stopping a named that is auth for 36,000 domains?
15
16 And then try starting it again? Trust me, it's painful. It's at least 30
17 minutes to get it back up, whereas ans can restart, including a full reload,
18 and be accurately answering queries again in less than 3 seconds
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com