From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Sudden XP death
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 18:40:19
1 On Sunday 23 December 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > > I doubt that would work. The virtual machine
3 > > identifies itself as
4 > > different "hardware" from the host, so the MS
5 > > profit-protection would
6 > > kick in, claiming you were trying to run the same
7 > > copy of the OS on two
8 > > different computers.
11 > > --
12 > > Neil Bothwick
13 >
14 > Mebbe I'm confusing wine with vmware. I need to run a
15 > XP-specific CAD program. So, it has to be installed in
16 > XP and XP must be installed on the first partition of
17 > the HDD, right?
18
19 No, it can be installed wherever you want it to be installed, (but not sure if
20 you can install it directly on a second drive. The catch is that it will
21 want to be on the first drive, first partition, or otherwise will try to
22 write its bootloader files there. If the first drive is not
23 recognisable/writeable by XP it will have a hissy fit and will bail out. The
24 (easy) solution is to install it on the first drive and then use partimage to
25 create an image of it, which thereafter can be unloaded in whichever
26 partition/drive you desire. Use Grub to chainload it accordingly.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick