From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Sudden XP death
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:09:26
1 On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 18:38 +0000, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 23 December 2007, maxim wexler wrote:
3 > > > I doubt that would work. The virtual machine
4 > > > identifies itself as
5 > > > different "hardware" from the host, so the MS
6 > > > profit-protection would
7 > > > kick in, claiming you were trying to run the same
8 > > > copy of the OS on two
9 > > > different computers.
10 > > >
11 > > >
12 > > > --
13 > > > Neil Bothwick
14 > >
15 > > Mebbe I'm confusing wine with vmware. I need to run a
16 > > XP-specific CAD program. So, it has to be installed in
17 > > XP and XP must be installed on the first partition of
18 > > the HDD, right?
19 >
20 > No, it can be installed wherever you want it to be installed, (but not sure if
21 > you can install it directly on a second drive. The catch is that it will
22 > want to be on the first drive, first partition, or otherwise will try to
23 > write its bootloader files there. If the first drive is not
24 > recognisable/writeable by XP it will have a hissy fit and will bail out. The
25 > (easy) solution is to install it on the first drive and then use partimage to
26 > create an image of it, which thereafter can be unloaded in whichever
27 > partition/drive you desire. Use Grub to chainload it accordingly.
28
29 sorry to jump in late, but can't you avoid all this hassle, and tell
30 VMware to use a virtual disk? That way Winblows XP would _think_ it has
31 the entire disk (mbr and all) but it is really just a file in some
32 directory in linux...
33
34 HTH,
38 What ever happened to happily ever after?
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list