From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] zfs emerge failure
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:04:54
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hope someone can shed some light on continuing emerge failures for zfs
4 > since gnetoo-sources-4.4.39 and zfs-0.6.5.8. I was able to install
5 > that version of zfs with that kernel last November on one of my
6 > machines, but have been unable to upgrade zfs since then, or to
7 > install it in any newer kernel, or even to re-install the same version
8 > on the same kernel.
9
10 I've been running various zfs+4.4.y versions without issue on a stable
11 amd64 config (using upstream kernels).
12
13 Currently I'm on 0.7.1+4.4.82.
14
15 > checking kernel source version... Not found
16 > configure: error: *** Cannot find UTS_RELEASE definition.
17 >
18 ...
19 >
20 > Googling around for the "Cannot find UTS_RELEASE" complaint reveals
21 > that a few people have encountered this problem over the years. It
22 > appeared in those cases to be attributable to the user running the
23 > configuration script not having sufficient authority to read
24 > ./include/generated/utsrelease.h in the kernel tree.
25
26 I suspect your sources have gotten messed up in some way. I've run
27 into issues like this when I do something like build a kernel with an
28 odd umask so that the portage user can't read the files it needs to
29 build a module. Your chmod should have fixed that but there could be
30 something else going on. It might just be that you didn't prepare the
31 sources?
32
33 I actually do all my kernel builds in a tmpfs under /var/tmp these
34 days which keeps my /usr/src/linux pristine. (make O=/var/tmp/linux
35 modules_install and so on) It does involve more building during
36 upgrades but I know everything is clean, and I prefer no-issues to
37 faster-builds.
38
39 In theory that isn't essential, but I would definitely just wipe out
40 /usr/src/linux and unpack clean kernel sources. If you're using the
41 gentoo-sources package you can just rm -rf the symlink and the actual
42 tree, and just re-emerge the package and it will set up both. If
43 you're using git then I'd probably wipe it and re-pull as I'm not sure
44 if a clean/reset will actually take care of all the permissions.
45
46 Then you need to run at least make oldconfig and make modules_prepare
47 before you can build a module against it. Doing a full kernel build
48 is also fine.
51 Rich