From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Inquiry about gentoo kernel configuration
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 12:25:41
1 On 10/7/21 7:40 pm, Ramon Fischer wrote:
2 > Hello Dongliang,
3 >
4 > you could retrieve kernel configuration files from a "Minimal
5 > Installation CD"[1] of Gentoo. Mount it and look for
6 > "/boot/gentoo-config".
7 >
8 > But I guess, you want a untouched version, don't you?
9 >
10 > -Ramon
11
12 Hi, to expand on this - Gentoo doesn't really have a standardised kernel
13 config - the nearest to that is the above install CD, or the default
14 generic catchall "genkernel" one - most people seem to manually
15 configurate and tune/customise a .config and then copy it from system to
16 system.  There are a few bin(ary) kernels in portage/sys-kernel/* that
17 might work for you but I have never tried them.
18
19 You can boot almost any linux live media on your target hardware and
20 extract the config (sysrescuecd is a good one) and use their sources, or
21 build the kernel using their config on top of Gentoo's vanilla-sources,
22 or gentoo-sources.
23
24 Or grab another distros boot directory (containing the kernel, initrd
25 and config files), the matching /lib/modules directory and boot that
26 instead of building your own (I do this often on uboot based arm systems
27 and raspberry pi's.)
28
29 Or ask on the list if someone has a config that matches your target
30 (occasionally it comes up).
31
32 BillK
37 > [1] https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/