From: Dongliang Mu <mudongliangabcd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Inquiry about gentoo kernel configuration
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 13:07:51
1 On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 8:26 PM William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
4 > On 10/7/21 7:40 pm, Ramon Fischer wrote:
5 > > Hello Dongliang,
6 > >
7 > > you could retrieve kernel configuration files from a "Minimal
8 > > Installation CD"[1] of Gentoo. Mount it and look for
9 > > "/boot/gentoo-config".
10 > >
11 > > But I guess, you want a untouched version, don't you?
12 > >
13 > > -Ramon
14 >
15 > Hi, to expand on this - Gentoo doesn't really have a standardised kernel
16 > config - the nearest to that is the above install CD, or the default
17 > generic catchall "genkernel" one - most people seem to manually
18 > configurate and tune/customise a .config and then copy it from system to
19 > system. There are a few bin(ary) kernels in portage/sys-kernel/* that
20 > might work for you but I have never tried them.
21
22 I see, thanks for your explanation. Gentoo people seem to build
23 everything for their systems, including the underlying Linux kernel.
24
25 For the installation CD, it plays a role as a temporary system to
26 install the real Gentoo Linux.
27
28 So there should be no default kernel configuration files. It depends
29 on the Gentoo user, right?
32 > You can boot almost any linux live media on your target hardware and
33 > extract the config (sysrescuecd is a good one) and use their sources, or
34 > build the kernel using their config on top of Gentoo's vanilla-sources,
35 > or gentoo-sources.
36 >
37 > Or grab another distros boot directory (containing the kernel, initrd
38 > and config files), the matching /lib/modules directory and boot that
39 > instead of building your own (I do this often on uboot based arm systems
40 > and raspberry pi's.)
41 >
42 > Or ask on the list if someone has a config that matches your target
43 > (occasionally it comes up).
44 >
45 > BillK
50 > > [1] https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/