From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutting down process hangs - how to proceed?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 02:08:44
1 > cleaner shutdown. This is taken from a email that was sent to me during
2 > that horrible xorg-server and hal upgrade.
3 >
4 > > Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
5 > > usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly
6 > > Broken By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O
7 > > -- Neil Bothwick
8 >
9 > I tried this once when I was unable to get my keyboard to respond to
10 > anything else. I made it through the first three or four and was
11 > returned to a console with a working keyboard. Since you are shutting
12 > down, you may want to go through them all to be safe. I think the last
13 > one does a reboot.
14 >
15 > Hope that helps.
16 >
17 > Dale
18 >
19 > :-) :-)
22 Hi Dale,
23
24 thanks a lot for your help!!! :)
25
26 This will help to bring donw the machine in an more
27 cleaner way as simply pressing the power switch ;-)
28
29 But:
30 How can I figure out, what hangs the shutdown process itsself?
31
32 Keep hacking!
33 mcc
34
35 ---
36 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
37 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
38 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
39 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.