From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutting down process hangs - how to proceed?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:28:21
1 On Saturday 19 September 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > > cleaner shutdown. This is taken from a email that was sent to me during
3 > > that horrible xorg-server and hal upgrade.
4 > >
5 > > > Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
6 > > > usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly
7 > > > Broken By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O
8 > > > -- Neil Bothwick
9 > >
10 > > I tried this once when I was unable to get my keyboard to respond to
11 > > anything else. I made it through the first three or four and was
12 > > returned to a console with a working keyboard. Since you are shutting
13 > > down, you may want to go through them all to be safe. I think the last
14 > > one does a reboot.
15 > >
16 > > Hope that helps.
17 > >
18 > > Dale
19 > >
20 > > :-) :-)
21 >
22 > Hi Dale,
23 >
24 > thanks a lot for your help!!! :)
25 >
26 > This will help to bring donw the machine in an more
27 > cleaner way as simply pressing the power switch ;-)
28 >
29 > But:
30 > How can I figure out, what hangs the shutdown process itsself?
31
32 Last time I came across a problem like this I had forgotten to select the
33 right chipset under Graphics support/AGP Support/ in the kernel. So I
34 suggest you revisit your kernel and xorg drivers setups for your card.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick