From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutting down process hangs - how to proceed?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 13:16:22
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday 19 September 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > > cleaner shutdown. This is taken from a email that was sent to me during
5 > > > that horrible xorg-server and hal upgrade.
6 > > >
7 > > > > Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
8 > > > > usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly
9 > > > > Broken By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O
10 > > > > -- Neil Bothwick
11 > > >
12 > > > I tried this once when I was unable to get my keyboard to respond to
13 > > > anything else. I made it through the first three or four and was
14 > > > returned to a console with a working keyboard. Since you are shutting
15 > > > down, you may want to go through them all to be safe. I think the last
16 > > > one does a reboot.
17 > > >
18 > > > Hope that helps.
19 > > >
20 > > > Dale
21 > > >
22 > > > :-) :-)
23 > >
24 > > Hi Dale,
25 > >
26 > > thanks a lot for your help!!! :)
27 > >
28 > > This will help to bring donw the machine in an more
29 > > cleaner way as simply pressing the power switch ;-)
30 > >
31 > > But:
32 > > How can I figure out, what hangs the shutdown process itsself?
33 >
34 > Last time I came across a problem like this I had forgotten to select the
35 > right chipset under Graphics support/AGP Support/ in the kernel. So I
36 > suggest you revisit your kernel and xorg drivers setups for your card.
37 > --
38 Hi. I have a somewhat similar problem, when I shutdown it goes all the
39 way to the end, but instead of shutting down, it says
40 init: nomore processes left in this runlevel. This is fine if I am
41 here, but from a remote location it would not work, so how can I figure
42 out why this is happening? I think this started when I went to
43 baselayout 2, but not certain of that.
46 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
47 How do
48 you spend it?
49
50 John Covici