From: Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRI lost after modular X and gcc-4.1.1
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:20:01
1 Sorry, I can't understand...
2
3 Richard Fish:
4 > If you want DRI, you have two choices:
5 >
6 > 1. the open source radeon driver, with the in-kernel DRM driver.
7 > For this you need to turn on CONFIG_DRM and CONFIG_DRM_RADEON in
8 > your kernel configuration. This doesn't work for all chips yet
9 > AFAIK.
10 >
11 > 2. the proprietary ATI drivers. For this you don't change the
12 > kernel configuration, but add "fglrx" to VIDEO_CARDS, and change
13 > your xorg.conf driver from "radeon" to "fglrx".
14
15 But:
16 i) as to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers
17 there is a third choise: CONFIG_DRM=n and emerge x11-drm;
18 ii) in http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html:
19 Q7: What X-Windows versions are supported in this driver?
20 A7: Driver packages are available for XFree86 versions 4.1, 4.2, and
21 4.3, as well as X.Org 6.8.
22 So they shouldn't work with Xorg 7.* (actually I had DRI working with
23 Xorg 6.8....)
24
25 Jerry McBride:
26 > I compile the kernel drm, agpgart and
27 > ati-agp. I then emerge x11-drm.
28
29 But the kernel drm and x11-drm look as they are not to work together.
30
31 > > me:
32 > > How did you compile ati-agp?
33 >
34 > I selected it and then compiled them with make modules.
35
36 But I just can select "ATI radeon" if I select kernel drm:
37
38 <M> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
39 <M> ATI Radeon
40
41 I do net get ati-agp compiled, and ... make modules should not be
42 needed for kernels 2.6.* ;-)
43
44 I'm a bit confused.....
45