From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DRI lost after modular X and gcc-4.1.1
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 02:56:24
1 On 9/25/06, Sergio Polini <sp_rm_it@×××××.it> wrote:
2 > i) as to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers
3 > there is a third choise: CONFIG_DRM=n and emerge x11-drm;
4
5 Yes, that is also an option, although I generally prefer the in-kernel
6 drivers if they support my hardware and there is no compelling reason
7 to use the out-of-tree versions.
8
9 > ii) in http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html:
10 > Q7: What X-Windows versions are supported in this driver?
11 > A7: Driver packages are available for XFree86 versions 4.1, 4.2, and
12 > 4.3, as well as X.Org 6.8.
13
14 The FAQ is out of date. Check the release notes for the current release:
15
16 https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.29.6.html#172686
17
18 > I do net get ati-agp compiled, and ... make modules should not be
19 > needed for kernels 2.6.* ;-)
20
21 You might want to try a more recent kernel than 2.6.12. Since you
22 have a PCIe card/system, and probably have no AGP bridge to begin
23 with, you really don't need AGP support at all. A 2.6.18 kernel will
24 allow you to build the necessary DRM drivers without requiring AGP
25 support.
26
27 -Richard
28 --